Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
In 1727, the Pennsylvania Provincial Council passed a law requiring all "foreign" immigrants (those of non-British origin) to swear an oath of allegiance to the Crown. And to enforce that act, ship captains carrying European immigrants into Philadelphia were required to submit lists of all of the passengers on their ships. This applied particularly to Germans who immigrated into the Province and, later, the State of Pennsylvania between the years 1727 and 1775. Apparently Henrich Hiestand arrived in America prior to September 18, 1727--the date of the first passenger list submitted in response to that law. His name does not appear on any of the known ship lists on record.
No doubt, Henrich entered America through the port of Philadelphia. If he was like so many other poor immigrants from Germany, he faced one of two common scenarios:
Where and how long he lived prior to settling in Lancaster County is unknown to us. But his April 1, 1728 naturalization, which occurred at Conestoga (then in Chester County, now Lancaster County), seems to indicate he moved into what is now Lancaster County fairly soon after his arrival in Pennsylvania.
Jacob and Johannes Hiestand arrived in Philadelphia on board the Friendship on October 16, 1727. Out of the 52 passengers on the October 16, 1727 Friendship list, seven had died en route and ten were "sick" when the ship arrived in Philadelphia. The names of "Jacob hiestandt" and "hannes hiestandt" (hannes = Johannes or John) also appear on the 1728 naturalization list. And, just about five years after the 1728 naturalization, these two men locate very near Henrich Heestant in Lancaster County, PA. There is no known documentation to prove the relationship between the three Hiestandt men, but it's highly likely that they were either brothers or very close cousins. Many American families have a tradition of three early immigrant brothers coming to America. Perhaps Henrich, Jacob, and Johannes were "our" three early immigrant brothers-to-America.
Caspar Wistar began attempting to retrieve money that Heinrich Hiestand had borrowed from him about the time (1733) that Heinrich Hiestand would have been purchasing 226 acres in Hempfield Township of western Lancaster County.
Lancaster County Land
Source of surveys - Pennsylvania
Historical and Museum Commission - Harrisburg, PA
|"That part of Landisville which is between the
original village and the railway stations, as originally owned by
the Hiestand family [Jacob Hiestand's descendants]; and in the
'seventies [1870s], after the death of Christian Heistand, the land
was laid out in building lots, and part of it then sold."
Page 177 of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania - A History, Volume I, edited by H.M.J. Klein. (New York/Chicago: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1924).
Note: Route 283 currently runs across what was Jacob Hiestand's land and the Spooky Nook Sports Complex (largest indoor sports, events, and entertainment complex in America) currently (2016) is located on the land originally owned by Jacob Hiestand.
Mother of Tom Mix - Elizabeth Heistand
Thomas Hezikiah Mix was born January 6, 1880 in Mix Run, Pennsylvania, about 40 miles (64 km) north of State College, Pennsylvania, to Edwin Elias Mix (February 22, 1854 – November 29, 1927) and Elizabeth Heistand (November 1858 – July 25, 1937). -Wikipedia
I grew up hearing about this. Our ears perked up anytime a Hiestand was mentioned in the news etc. Anyway, she is a descendant of Jacob Hiestand (who immigrated to America in 1727 and lived in Salunga, PA and died in 1772). -Kent Hiestand
Tom Mix was the forerunner of movie and television western
stars, such as Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, John Wayne, and many
others. He was the "king of the cowboys" during the 1920s.
His screen career spanned the periods of silent movies and
"talkie" movies. He appeared in 291 western films, starred in
circuses and wild west shows, and his name and persona were
featured in a radio series, beginning in 1933. He was a
pall bearer in Wyatt Earp's funeral. Tom Mix died in a car
accident in Arizona on October 12, 1940.